Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ca-ve Thoughts

I have had the same song in my head for 3 days. It's called The Cave, by Mumford and Sons. I heard it on my way to work the other day, and sat in the car to let it finish (thank you, 89.3 the current, a part of Minnesota Public Radio :P). The mandolin is amazing. I gotta have more mandolin.

Two lines from this song keep ringing in my head. Just stuck in there, on repeat, and I love it. How can a song capture so many thoughts with one line? "Let me to the truth which will refresh my broken mind..." What a great line! Their show here in the cities is at least 2 weeks away, and it's been sold out forever. I'm sure I'm taking the song completely out of context, but I just keep hearing, "I need freedom now, and I need to know how, to live my life as it's meant to be..."

The other thought that comes to my mind is a memory from Ireland. In Doolin, we took a cave tour. The longest stalactite in the Northern Hemisphere (or was is stalagmite...which one hangs from the ceiling? Stalactite)...We had to walk down almost a mile of stairs, and then walk up them. When we came out, the sun burning our eyes, and our lungs burning from the climb, Carolyn said, "Oh, I still have ca-vay on my pants." So when I hear this song, I think of ca-vay, and the climb out of it. And I gotta have more mandolin!

Here are a couple of pics of us and the ca-vay day. We all still joke it was the worst 13.50 Euro we spent. But we helped the economy in Doolin. Yay. :)

So there it is. The mulling of my mind over the last few days. Spring has sprung, and perhaps we are all coming out of our caves. Maybe we'll come out walking on our hands, and see the world hanging upside down. Maybe we're all backwards :)


Today's song of the day should be no surprise. The video link is below, as well as others. I'm a fan. Way to go, Mumford :)





And, we now know (almost a year later) that the banjo/mandolin debate is finished, and tied. He plays the Banjolin. Surprised you didn't know that. :)

5 comments:

  1. Banjo, my dear. I believe what you are hearing and loving and craving is banjo, not mandolin.

    Although, mandolin is great! Marcy's been really working on her mandolin lately (much more than I've done on my banjo) and it's just stunning.

    I love the picture of walking out of a cave on our hands, the world upside down. I absolutely love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that later, but it didn't sound twangy enough...perhaps it is one of those celtic banjos with 4 strings. I will have to look again :P Thanks for the reminder. I haven't missed one in the "name that instrument" game in a long time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right: it's some kind of open-back banjo--not the resonator-bluegrass-banjos. I prefer those open-back banjos myself.

    I swear, everytime I read your blog it makes me want to write again. It's been almost a year since I wrote on Waxing Elephant, but that's not because I've abandoned writing altogether. I've been working on my "teach on purpose" blog along with some fiction and some poetry. But I have not written in the reflective way that you do for quite some time now. I'll have to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! you should! I love reading your blog, I was thinking I need to write more like you... :) Do !! Do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After some extensive research, I have come to know that, joyously, we are both right. It is a Banjolin. And now we know :)

    ReplyDelete