Saturday, September 19, 2009

May the Force Be With Me. The Work Force.

I am up at 5:30am today. No idea why. I did meet with a store yesterday and had the all important, dignity boosting pee test taken, to ensure I don't do drugs. Yay. I told the interviewer I have never even smoked a cigarette or a joint, and I don't know if he just sees a lot of junkies or what, but he giggled, and said, "seriously?" Then he quickly quipped "that's awesome." It was a very informal interview. I found myself joking a lot. I kept thinking of Chandler Bing, and tried not to be as funny (i.e. "you said duties....hee heee heee"). I don't think he has a lot of faith in me, but that's OK (why do we have to capitalize OK? It's not an anacronym), I'll show him. I was offered a job, working M-F 5am-9am. This is perfect for me. I can work around it, I can be done by 9, and money will still come in. Plus I can stay after sometimes and make more money. Win-win-win-win. He seems a bit unsure if I am going to be comfortable working those hours. I told him I was a bit of a ridiculous morning person, and my housemates would probably enjoy having me out of the house in the mornings. At my old job, I was always singing or bouncing by 6. My awake nighters never understood me. And my nickname in Austria was Red Bull, because I didn't need any. I will let your imagination marinate on that a little bit. So yay, one job confirmed (hmmm, after the drug test, confirmed....I don't see a problem there). I move back into the force of the working. What is that? Is Doom shaking a little in its shoes?

Since I haven't been working, I have noticed just how much I used to spend frivolously. There were many lunches and coffees, which I don't really regret, but I used to have this habit of going to Target or Walgreens, and buying like $50 worth of stuff, and just leaving it in my back room, still in the bags. When I moved, I had so much unopened stuff that I totally forgot buying, it was ridiculous. I ended up donating like....yeah all of it. I was just having this conversation with my mom. She has recently joined the work force also, in the form of assisting in yearbook photos while insane mothers come and pull their 5th grade daughters out of class to dress them up like little hussies and hover (Ferris Bueller's Day Off: "My sister wears too much makeup; people think she's a whore.") Suddenly old habits and people seem just so ridiculous. She also realized when she stopped working how she would mindlessly shop. I never thought I was a shopping type of girl, but I guess you don't have to buy designer stuff to be an autobot shopper. I was good at putting money away and paying down my debt, too, but I bought a LOT of stuff I didn't need, or even want, as it turned out. I don't do that now, because I can't. I don't see that as a habit that will come back. I don't know, though. Sometimes I just want to go get something, even if its small. But I don't. So I think we're good. Ha! This is that ambivalence that pervades me....and that doesn't look like a word.

English is such a funny language. I read once that they interviewed people on the other side of the world who didn't speak a word of English, and they asked them to pick the most beautiful word, from a list (I don't know how many words were on the list). The majority of them picked Diarrhea. I found this odd, until my best friend told me that when she was a child she had an imaginary friend named Diarrhea. She was a ballerina and wore a pink tu-tu. I don't think she sees her much anymore. I ask about her sometimes, because I'm a good friend. :P I wonder if my friend is reading this post! Ha! I'll be hearing about this, I'm sure.

Today's song may require a bit of explanation: I've chosen The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie. I don't feel that I am settling, as I am grateful for any job at all, and this one actually will work really well for me, schedule wise. But somewhere deep inside, this rings a little.
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/The_Sound_of_Settling/7280094

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it is amazing what we can live without when we are without. :P

    ReplyDelete